Friday, July 29, 2011

'Domesplitter' by Direct Hit!


By Kevin Toomey
Kind Of Like Records
8/2/2011
Rating: 4/5

I thought I was going to hate this record. The first song is awful. It opens with some guy bellowing, “FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!” and it’s just really really cringe-inducing. I could only assume that this was just another Dillinger Four rip-off band, but I was really relieved to be proven wrong. Direct Hit is no D4 wanna-be band; they’re ripping off Blink-182. The riff on “Monster in the Closet” or almost any of the other tracks could be mistaken for a Blink song. I’d even bet that at some point in time, the guitar player in this band owned one of those surf green Tom DeLonge Stratocasters (you know, the one you wanted when you were 14). This is angsty, snotty pop punk music the way it should be. Lyrically, most of the songs are about general boredom and alien invasions and don’t offer anything too insightful, but sometimes that’s a good thing. I still can’t get over the fact that this isn’t some hidden gem from 2002 or 2003 that went unreleased until now. Highly recommended for fans of any/all of the following: Dear Landlord, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York and being 17.
[Domesplitter is comprised from re-worked and re-recorded songs selected from the Direct Hit EPs and available in digital format or available on LP (edition of 500).]

2 comments:

DKandS said...

This is the best review of Direct Hit! I have ever read. It sums them up so well. Still, I fuckin' love this band. Going to play a show with those fuckers in Madison tonight. I'm probably going to quote this whole thing while I'm on stage giving Nick Woods the ribbing of a lifetime.

Thank you, Squid. I mean that.
-Campy

Turkey Sandwich. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.