Friday, October 28, 2011

Beavis and Butthead: Season 9, Episode 1 review/stream


Screen shot of Werewolves of Highland

Last night was the first time in 14 years Beavis and Butthead returned to MTV with a new episode. I'm not one of those people who walk around talking about how they feel "old" every time I cop out of something and need a quick scape goat. I really believe in living in the moment, existing on the out breath and all that, but I realized my entire lifetime (and then some) passed since it went off air in 1997. My parents weren't the type of parents that didn't care what you watched. They weren't crazy about not letting me watch shows like Beavis and Butthead, but they didn't like me watching it because I would obsessively imitate the characters and do things they did, because I thought they were hilarious. I remember spraying the lit stove with Lysol and dragging a fireball around the kitchen with my brother going, "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" But everyone knows shows and video games don't influence behavior. We really just thought fire was cool. And nachos and chicks. ANYWHO, the characters were staples and foundations for a lot of things I found funny and still do. They played an integral role in the development of my sense of humor and even personality. Some of my best friends to this day loved the show just as much and had the same bond with it. Another huge thing for me was that the show also introduced me to alternative music. Since I was in third/fourth grade, I was obsessed with B96, a Chicago station that used to (and I think still does) play hip-hop, R&B, rap, etc. But Beavis and Butthead introduced me to bands like Tool, MC 900 Ft. Jesus, Hole, GWAR, grunge, punk and countless other bands and genres I may have never otherwise had an in with.

That being said, the past 14 years have been spent repeatedly renting the Beavis and Butthead VHS tapes (the ones that only had like 6 episodes on each one) from Blockbuster, which turned into owning the Time Life DVDs and playing the shit out of those. That turned into downloading bootleg copies of chronological episodes people used to record onto VHS tapes off their TV, which turned into the Mike Judge Collection DVDs which brings us to now.

The first episode, "Werewolves of Highland," was a spoof on Twilight. You know what, screw this whole review thing. You got 20 minutes? You should just watch the episodes for yourself. Nothing I say can do it justice. And why take my obvious bias? You might think it's a piece of shit. Here's the premier episode of Beavis and Butthead:



And if you missed Beavis and Butthead on Jimmy Kimmel Tuesday, that's here too:

No comments: