Greetings and welcome to Squid Pro Quo's sixth annual BEST OF list. 2013 saw a lot of great releases. We've chosen the 10 best full-lengths, 10 best 7''s/EPs/compilations and 10 best splits of the year. Love it, love to hate it or check it out if you don't know it.
The Top 10 Albums of 2013
By Jason Duarte
10. Swearin' - Surfing Strange (Salinas)
Swearin' impressed me last year with their self-titled debut release. This year, they released a second record, also on Salinas Records. I like their first album a lot, but this one has some jams and is a little less "punk" and a little more their of own sound. This album is so riddled with catchy melodies and pieces, it's hard to stop coming back to it. It's good to rock to. It's good to chill to. It's just a great taste of an eclectic group of musicians. Seeing them live was incredible. The new album had barely been released, and everyone knew the words. Keep your eyes on Swearin' if you haven't been.
9. Laura Stevenson - Wheel (Don Giovanni)
8. Night Birds - Born To Die In Suburbia (Grave Mistake)
Night Birds are my favorite current hardcore band. Like, hands down. It doesn't get better than them. This is their first release since founding guitarist Mike Hunchback left, so being I've been following this band since buying their demo and seeing one of their first shows and every one I could since, I was super excited to hear change in sound. Mike Hunchback is an intense, powerful dude. His licks are just insane. The way he plays, crawling on his knees, almost abusing himself and his guitar while hitting every note is still unmatched, but PJ is amazing in a different way. This album's not as dark as The Other Side of Darkness or the Fresh Kill Vol. 1 collection, but it's so so good.
7. RVIVR - The Beauty Between (Rumbletowne)
6. Lemuria - The Distance Is So Big (Bridge 9)
Lemuria is a band I've been a fan of since I first saw them open for The Queers back in 2008 at Reggie's in Chicago. Their signing to Bridge 9 earlier this year was a surprise, but it fits. They released a single for "Brilliant Dancer" before the full length came out and it was good. This album is so solid and their live performance is one of the tightest-sounding I've ever witnessed/heard.
5. Sundowner - Neon Fiction (Fat Wreck)
4. Lipstick Homicide - Out Utero (Bloated Kat)
3. Iron Chic - The Constant One (Bridge 9)
2. Great Apes - Thread (Asian Man)
Jaded In Chicago of their self-titled 7'' here.
1. Plow United - Marching Band (Jump Start)
The Top 10 7''s/EPs/collections of 2013
10. Your Pest Band - Smash Hits! (2008-2011) (Dead Broke)
9. The Replacements - Songs For Slim 12'' (New West)
8. Skinny Genes - Meh 7'' (Bloated Kat)
7. Night Birds - Maimed For the Masses 7'' (Fat Wreck)
6. The Songs of Tony Sly: A Tribute 12'' (Fat Wreck)
5. Our Lips Are Sealed: A Tribute To the Go-Gos 12'' (Solidarity)
4. All Dogs - All Dogs 7'' (Salinas)
3. Technicolor Teeth - Blood Pool b/w Drips 7'' (Accidental Guest)
2. Tenement - Sick Club Vol. 3 7'' (Cowabunga)
1. Supercrush - Lifted b/w Melt Into You (Drift Away) 7'' (Bedside)
The Top 10 Splits of 2013
10. Mean Jeans / Underground Railroad To Candyland 7'' (It's Alive)
9. Mikey Erg / Barrakuda McMurder 3.5'' floppy (Bloated Kat)
8. Vacation Bible School / The Brokedowns 7'' (It's Alive)
7. The Capitalist Kids / Tight Bros 7'' (Toxic Pop)
6. Lipstick Homicide / The Turkletons - We're Gonna Need a Bigger Coat 7'' (It's Alive)
5. Brick Mower / Black Wine 7'' (Viking On Campus)
4. Masked Intruder / Dan Vapid & the Cheats The Wedding 7'' (Solidarity)
3. All Dogs / Slouch tape (Discount Horse)
2. Tenement / Screaming Females 7'' (Recess)
1. The Old Wives / The Blendours 12'' (Eccentric Pop)