Thursday, November 4, 2010

YOU GUYS!!! Svengoolie is coming to Elgin!



I got really excited this morning when I read that WCIU's seven-time Emmy-award winning Svengoolie is coming to Elgin.

Legally known as Rich Koz, Svengoolie will be signing autographs and gracing Elgin with his presence from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, at The Hemmens Cultural Center, 200 N. Spring St. Svengoolie introduced me not only to the bizarre town of Berwyn, Ill., via television, but also cult classics like "The Car" (1977) and movies I later bought on DVD such as "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and "Attack of the Killer Shrews."

I got twice as excited when I found out what was going on at 8 p.m. at The Hemmens -- an interactive showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show!"

I've always wanted to attend one of these, but only select theaters do them, and I was always discouraged because I'd have to drive out just before midnight to catch one, and it was expensive, and yadda yadda yadda. I have no excuse to miss this one, though, 'cause it will be practically in my backyard. People are encouraged to dress up for a costume contest too, which should be interesting. I kind of want to dress up as Svengoolie, hang out in the lobby closer to the entrance and see if anyone asks me for an autograph or a picture.

On the musical side of things, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" has an incredible soundtrack.

About seven years ago, I bought a compilation put out by Springman Records called "The Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show," which offered covers of the original soundtrack by pop punk bands like Elgin's own Apocalypse Hoboken, Chicago's Alkaline Trio and others.

Anyway. Rocky Horror tickets are $7 and can be bought at The Hemmens website or by calling its box office at 847-931-5900. See that website for more details as well.

-- Jason Duarte, Freelance Writer

Link to story:
http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/cn_bylines/2010/10/i_got_really_excited_this.html

No comments: